Dear praying friends,
I am quickly over-running my allotted word count even as I begin this letter! Bring out your magnifying glasses to rejoice over a two-week, six-country, seven-airline-dominated last month.
- China: A two-hour pastoral visit during a five-hour stopover after American Airlines’ longest flight (Dallas to Hong Kong—17 hours!) with a long-term friend weakened by cancer.
- India: One of the richest days of my life in my childhood city! Two-hundred-fifty believers brought 350 pre-Christ friends for a day-long event featuring talks from converts to the Lord Jesus. I was energized by the spirit of the stories, and more importantly by the Spirit of God, to present the final 30-minute talk at the end of a powerful, jet-lagged day. Thirty-eight made first time professions of faith—a huge percentage! That night I flew to my birth city to talk to 20,000-plus people (mostly new believers) on the problem of evil.
- Thailand: Yet another four-hour layover after an overnight flight allowed for a pastoral visit with a fine Dallas GPA grad/businessman/church planter. We finished with prayer for a child. That was Monday; on Thursday, he confirmed his wife’s pregnancy. God answers even before I pray! (smile)
- Japan: A nation where the evangelical Faith has failed to penetrate. Still at an abysmal 0.50 percent, with most Japanese pastors soon to retire, they need a boost in recruitment and training of younger pastors. Who would have thought that RREACH would provide just that through our Global Proclamation (GPro) Commission? A Japanese leader who attended our 2016 GProCongress mobilized over 100 devoted Japanese pastors, older and younger, for GProJapan. They envision 50,000 congregations in Japan over the next decade.
- Malaysia: God (and Bonnie) knew that I needed two slower days, which I found in Kuala Lumpur with RREACH’s director of Ministry Coordination, former Ambassador Selwyn Das. We had delightful times of meeting, eating, even shoe repair and a haircut!
- Philippines: GProPhilippines was hosted by TOPIC (Trainers of Pastors International Commission), an organization founded by RREACH 20 years ago. We presented the new global facilitator of TOPIC, Al Bridges (formerly of BEE—Biblical Education by Extension). God used me once again to charge the 150. They plan to train 5,000 pastoral trainers to produce 10,000 new pastoral leaders by 2020!
I trust that your Thanksgiving season included what the Lord makes happen through you, me and this ministry. You were included in our United States Happy Thanksgiving season.
In the Inexhaustible Vine,